Sunday, June 3, 2012

....x2

You may recall that I was having a harder time during this pregnancy than I had before. I didn't want to go in to too much whining before, but it's been hard. I had been having some cramping and spotting twice whenever I was too active. By too active I mean walking half a block to the store. My midwife gave me some stuff to take that helped ease the cramping, but I still felt like something was off. She came over to see me on May 15th and did the standard checkup stuff; urinalysis, blood pressure, feel my uterus, and listen to the baby. I told her I thought there were twins. I don't think she really thought there were, but she scheduled an ultrasound for me on Friday. It felt like Friday would never get here, but it did. We went in at 11:00 and ended up having to wait half an hour which after drinking 32oz of water felt like 5 hours.

The ultrasound tech took us back and asked if we had any specific concerns about the baby. I said yes, that there is 2. She asked me a series of questions and when I told her I was only 13 weeks she thought I had my dates off because I was huge. I finally laid down on the bed, they put the goop on me, placed the wand on my stomach and instantly saw two babies. I had a bit of an emotional break down. I really thought we would go in there and have them tell us I was wrong, just one baby. Luke sat there completely shocked and speechless.



Both babies looked perfect. They were reaching out for each other and kicking and even sucking their thumbs. They had separate placentas and separate amniotic sacs which is the safest twins to have and means that they are most likely fraternal. I am still planning a natural birth but have yet to nail down where or how. It has been two weeks since we found out and it still hasn't quite sunk in. Maybe after we find out the genders and I can actually starting doing and making things it will. I think Kara is adjusting the best and likes to tell me that the babies are in her belly. Today she was putting sunglasses stickers on my stomach for the babies.

1 comment:

Only A Mama knows said...

Gosh, we are just so incredibly excited for your guys!! I'm sorry things have been difficult, I do hope it gets better! I definitely know how scary it can be. Isn't it great when your Mama intuition is right!? You knew there were 2. :)We are thinking of you!

Love,
Becca